Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Miss Representation

I find it very distressing that girls are sexualized and objectified at such early ages. It worries me because my own sister is only nine years old and often times I hear her make comments about how she is too muscular and not skinny enough. It makes me sick to hear her say these things. One of my mom's friends has always told me that strong is beautiful, but clearly that is not what is being taught to my young impressionable sister. In the first place, my sister has a rebellious personality, so I worry that that coupled with any insecurity could lead her somewhere terrifying (dressing inappropriately and behaving inappropriately).
Personally, I have always dressed on the modest side, but I do not judge those who prefer to dress more  liberally. I think that sometimes we, society, accuse girls of dressing too revealingly or provocatively and this takes the burden of responsibility off of men. Of course, men are being raised in a society where media says it is okay to objectify a woman's body, but this should not exempt them from treating women like fellow human beings. Men need to know that just because a woman is dressed a certain way does not mean she is asking for anything and it is unfair and frankly disgusting for them to expect something of it. Historically, in these instances, women have always been the ones who should "know better" and men just "cannot help it." I think that notion is ridiculous and needs to change. I should not have to worry about what my sister wears for fear that her vulnerability will be abused by a presumptuous young boy.
Finally, I want to look forward to a world where my sister and I (and all women) will not face such degradation and sexism. I had never really thought that my gender would play a prominent role in my career, but since watching Miss Representation, I admit that I am slightly concerned. At the Mount, students have always been encouraged to be women of "courage and conviction," to speak up and out for what we believe in. It scares me to think that I may be entering the world where that is not always the case, and I naively ask myself why that is. More importantly, I want to help stop the discrimination, the objectification, the sexualization.

No comments:

Post a Comment