Is dating practice for divorce? I understand how it can be seen that way. Dating implies impermanence; a state that will inevitably end, perhaps in marriage or in a breakup. Data shows that divorce rates have risen, and maybe dating is to blame because we are now accustomed to impermanence. In a way, this makes sense to me. TV and movies often portray dating as cold and calculated excursions in which both parties only want something physical. While I do not want to pass judgment, this hardly seems healthy to me. On the other hand, the concept of dating is relatively new. Only in the past century have people experimented with dating as opposed to courtship or arranged marriage. Similarly, divorce is a relatively new concept. Although King Henry VIII was divorced, most people did not consider divorce respectable or viable until as late as the 1970s. Even now, I think of my grandparents' generation and can name only one couple I know that got a divorce. Maybe divorce rates are rising because it is no longer as shameful or ill-perceived as it was only 50 years ago. Maybe dating is not that harmful because it gives us the tools to gain greater self-knowledge of ourselves and others. I think that properly and healthily established dating can lead to us finding stronger, more loving and more committed relationships that will last a lifetime.
The hook-up culture is a slightly different story. The hook-up culture glorifies physical aspects of relationships without giving any thought to the emotional and psychological ramifications and that can be destructive. I think this detached attitude can lead to personal problems far worse than divorce or future fleeting relationships. It creates an aura of depression and loneliness that can only be filled temporarily. That is scary.
No comments:
Post a Comment