IVF has become a controversial subject since its inception in the late 70s because of the vast amount of pros and cons of the subject. IVF can be a very positive course of action for a married couple that wants children but are physically unable to conceive alone. The Bible and the Catholic Church encourage procreation, and it is natural for adults to want to have children of their own any way possible. IVF is an innovative and safe measure to help people conceive children. However, there are major consequences. First, in order to higher the rate of conception through IVF, scientists make extra embryos which can be saved but are often eventually destroyed. The Catholic Church, supporting the sanctity of life at conception, does not condone this practice. In addition, Father Thomas Nairn makes a valid point in saying that the process of IVF becomes more centralized on the parents wanting children than on what the child needs. However, this ultimate desire for children is perpetuated by our culture. On TV shows and in media, adults are depicted comically "trying" for a baby in seeming desperation. I do not think this phenomenon is directly correlated to IVF alone, but a culture of people who expect to get exactly what they want when they want it. Brother Sulmasy says that when he councils young couples considering IVF he attempts to assure them that their self-worth and success in life is not solely dependent on procreation. I think this is a very valid point. Sometimes it seems that society expects the same out of every person, forcing people into identical cookie-cutter lives. I think parenthood is a great thing and very important but it is not necessary for enjoying or fully living life.
For the most part, I do not object to IVF. I was interested by the points that Father Nairn and Brother Sulmasy brought up concerning parent's needs and fulfillment versus a child's needs. However, I think that it is a beautiful thing for a couple to want children, and I think that should be encouraged. I do understand the objection to the destruction of embryos, but in the case of the Zimmerman family it seems that they opted not to discard embryos. Personally, I would prefer that most people participating in IVF also opt not to discard embryos, but I understand that today many people have many different definitions on the exact moment a life begins. I disagree with the Church on its stance against using third party eggs or sperm as dividing a family as well as the necessity of the sex component. The cost of IVF does seem excessive to me, but I do not believe that that in itself makes the practice immoral.
No comments:
Post a Comment