Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Changing Face of Marriage

My parents have never really stressed the importance of the Church in our lives, but now having talked about this redefinition of the Church, or the domestic church, I think my parents have embodied that. My parents taught my brother and I that love and trying to live in Jesus' footsteps were the most important things in life; everything else would follow after. Therefore, for the most part, I have no problem with the evolving types of families and marriage. My great-aunt recently told me how upset she was that her granddaughter was pregnant and unmarried, even though she and her boyfriend were in a committed and long-term relationship. I feel that as long as that child is loved and both my cousin and her boyfriend are happy than little else matters. I think there are consequences and difficulties no matter if you're married or long-term partners; there will always be a possibility of a break-up or a divorce. Personally, I am very afraid of getting a divorce (even with a college degree), probably because I watch too much Reba and I really would like to establish some version of the domestic church in my house. I am not sure that I want to raise my kids Catholic (I am not even sure that I want to get married or have kids), but I want to raise them with an idea of God and absolutely with the tradition of love that the Church encourages. I want my marriage to be an example for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment