Friday, May 23, 2014

The Way

I had never heard of El Camino before seeing the Way, but I was immediately inspired by it. Traveling the El Camino is even now on my bucket list. More than anything I think I am drawn by the rugged beauty of the region and the idea of solitude. I found it almost shocking that most of the pilgrims on the El Camino started their journey's alone. I come from a large family where the words solitude and silence are not in our vernacular. I have always done everything with at least a partner if not a squad of people beside me, family or friends. The idea of doing a 2 month pilgrimage alone is simultaneously fascinating and daunting to me. I would love to be alone with my thoughts that long, but I also think I might get bored of myself.
Reading Rebecca Gallo's article about the integral role of religion in her pilgrimage intrigues me as well. My Catholic religion has had varying influence on my life. There have been times when I was more devout than I am now. I suppose I am slightly skeptical of taking any religion all too seriously, if that makes sense. My best friend is Jewish, and so we often share our religious ideas. I, at times, feel that I belong to no particular religion, although my core beliefs remain Catholic. Perhaps personally doing the El Camino would help me feel less confused about religion, but then again, I do not really think that I would ever come to a distinct answer about where my faith is. Sometimes I feel bogged down by the dogmas of the Catholic Church with which I disagree. In the film, I think Jack from Ireland felt the same way. He refused even to go inside churches along the Camino. However, by the end, he does go inside the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela. I think it is because the pilgrimage has given him the chance to see the Catholic faith out of its rigid context of churches and priests and nuns. Maybe the Camino would give me the same experience. Or maybe more aptly, the El Camino would show me a different facet or perspective of the mystery and beauty of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment